Saturday, July 19, 2008

Book Review: Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet:
The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller

image from bustboobtique.com

Here I am on the cutting edge of all new books coming out!!! Yeah... Um, well, this one came out in 2006, but I had to review it because it became my best friend while I was on vacation in Chicago/DC. Before this book, I was a crochet novice, but now I can tackle almost any pattern with confidence! Whooh hooh!

Here's the low-down on the book: It's a great resource for a new crocheter, or someone who wants to expand his or her crochet horizons by trying new stitches. It would also be a great resource for crocheters who need a little refresher course. The great thing about the book is that the author, Debbie, who I now feel like I know, breaks down the anatomy of a crochet stitch, and gives easy, step by step instructions on how to make all kinds of cool stitches.

It was so fun working through this book and every day during my vacation, I had something new to show my grandmother. My samples are in a rich, dark carrot orange acrylic -- rad! I got the yarn at the Craft Mutiny booth at the Crafty Bastards Fair in Washington, DC metro. (Which reminds me- more on Crafty Bastards later this week!)

The book also includes gorgeous patterns from a number of different yarn crafters. I have completed a few projects from the book:

^a bracelet based on the
Garden Scarf pattern by Michelle Ameron,
which I sent to my friend Vaal,

a full-length garden scarf for myself (which looks just like the bracelet, only longer), and two identical baby girl caps based on the L'il Monkey pattern by Carmen Watkins. I just made them out of gorgeous and soft bamboo yarn for my new little baby friends! I didn't do the sock-monkey appliqué- I just made them in classic white. Sorry I made them in a hurry and I didn't take any pics.

So all in all, I'd most definitely recommend this book for anyone who has an interest in fiber craft. Buy it here, at the Bust Boobtique!

Crochet is a great skill to have in your back pocket. It's a great way to pass time in cars, on planes, and in lines. It is probably the most portable craft out there.

I also find it comforting that if I were ever stranded on a deserted island like the people on Lost, I could crochet everything from fishing nets to hammocks to clothing for all of the castaways. :o)