Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Crafter Statement

I have no delusions about what it is that I do. I am a crafter. I craft. I love it. What troubles me is when art is defined as that which belongs in a frame on a wall in a museum. I eschew that elitist attitude. That is not to say that I don't adore gazing at framed works in museums. On the contrary, I spend hours contemplating such masterful work. But my mind is open. I see art in the every day. I am inspired by the sidewalk, a puddle, or the way that vendor is singing in the metro.

Most of my work is internal. I have hundreds of creative ideas, projects, and compositions in my mind. By comparison, I produce little. Most of what I do produce is mere replication. Yet I joy in the process of creating. It is a meditative process that honors those who invented the methods I use. It is liberating and invigorating. Do I want to design? Maybe sometimes. Have I ever been an artist? Definitely. But today I define myself as a crafter.