Thursday, July 1, 2010

Baby A gets an Owlie!

So, like, three of my friends are preggers right now. I used to do a set of 50 cards for each. Yeah. That was before they started getting pregnant all at the same time! So what's a girl to do?

Bibs.

I know nothing about babies. Nothing. And that's the way I'd like to keep it. But when I saw this cuuute Lion Brand pattern, I questioned the 6x6" size. Are babies who are that small able to sit up and eat? I'm just clueless.

I pondered this question (about baby size) for a while, until I realized I'd really better start, lest my project fall by the wayside. So I made an executive decision to double-strand my 100% cotton sport yarn and use an I-9/5.5mm hook. The resulting bib base is about 8x8. And just in case Mom & Dad still couldn't use it as a bib for some reason, I decided to make the straps removable so they could also use it as a washcloth.

As most things do, this project took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I am really pleased with the results!

The Owl Bib pattern is available for free on the Lion Brand website, and you'll need to log in. (It's worth it!) I've posted the mods here in case you'd like to replicate the project. They also have bib patterns in duckie, froggie, piggie and robot(tie?)! God I love Lion Brand.

TIES (make 2)
I/5.5mm hook
double-stranded yarn
Foundation: ch 5
1: sc into 2nd, and rep across (4 sc)
2: ch 1, turn sc into 2nd and next 3, ch 41 (4 sc and 41 ch)
3: turn sc into 2nd and sc up to the last 3, ch2, sk 1 sc, sc into last 2 (40 sc, followed by ch2 sp, then 2 sc)
4: ch 1, turn, sc into next 2, sc into one ch, sc into next sc. stop. (4 sc)
5: ch1, turn, sc into each. fasten off. Weave in ends. (4 sc)

FEET (make 2)
F/3.75 hook
Hold 1 strand beak yarn and one strand yellow embroidery floss together
Foundation: ch 7
1: sc into 2nd ch from hook, rep across (6 sc)
2: ch 1 turn, sc into 3, ch 3 (3 sc, 3 ch)
3: ch 1 turn, sc into 2nd ch from hook, rep across (6 sc)
4: ch 1 turn, sc into 3, ch 3 (3 sc, 3 ch)
5: ch 1 turn, sc into 2nd ch from hook, rep across (6 sc)

WINGS (make 2)
I/5.5mm hook
double-stranded yarn
foundation: doublechain 10
1: working in round, ch1, sc in first 2 ch, hdc, 4dc, hdc, sc, 4sc in end. Working into bottom of doublechain: sc, hdc, 4 dc, hdc, sc, slst, slst into ch1, tie off.
The end with 4sc is the top of the wing.